Butternut Squash Soup

I have two modes: "if you leave a crumb on this counter I will cut you," or "I wonder if my purse is under the laundry on top of the island."

No in-between.

When I cook or bake, I'm in cutting mode. The entire kitchen needs to look like the set of the Martha Stewart cooking show. So, while you guys get the splendor of my clean kitchen, pray for my family - they were likely yelled at in the making of this soup.


I am a basic white girl through and through. The second one leaf begins to look like a pale green, I have strapped on my Hunters and a plaid scarf. I'm also ready for soups and chilis and baking. Being that it's Halloween, I wanted to be sure and get something fall-y in on this fall day.

Not only is this a beautiful soup, it's delicious and the family loved it.



I allowed them back into the kitchen once I had finished making the soup and kitchen look perfect.


Ingredients:
  • 1 1/2 cups chopped yellow onion
  • 1 Tbsp olive oil
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced (about 2 tsp)
  • 2 tsp minced, peeled fresh ginger
  • Small pinch of cinnamon
  • splash of Apple cider vinegar
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 4 cups low sodium chicken stock
  • 2 large butternut squash
  • 1/2 cup of pumpkin puree
  • 2 Tbsp butter
  • 3 Tbsp heavy whipping cream
  • dash of black pepper black pepper
  • dash of brown sugar
  • Toasted pumpkin seeds

Directions:
1. Heat olive oil in pan. Add chopped onions and saute until translucent.

2. Add squash, broth, and spices.

3. Bring to a boil, reduce to simmer for 10-15 minutes or until squash is soft. Remove from heat and add pumpkin puree, butter, and brown sugar. Puree with a hand (stick) blender or in batches in a normal blender. Blend until very smooth.

4. Test soup. Add more whipping cream for a richer soup. 

5. Serve hot and top with toasted pumpkin seeds.


Post a Comment

© andrea lebeau. Design by Fearne.