Pecan Pie Tradition

We have multiple traditions around here: Friendsgiving and Dear Abby's Pecan Pie.

Let me start by saying that I used to lie to my Dad every year about this damn pie. Since I was little, Dad made this pie every single Thanksgiving, and every single year, he'd ask me if I had had a piece of it. "Yes...," I would say and turn away. No, I hadn't. It was brown and it looked weird.

At about 16, I stuck my finger in the goo and wound up finishing off half a of pecan pie. At this point, I 'fessed up. Now, sixteen years later, I have stolen the tradition. It is what I bring to Thanksgiving with the family, and now, Friendsgiving.


Without further ado, the recipe from Dear Abby:

INGREDIENTS
unbaked 9-inch pie crust
1 cup light corn syrup
1 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
3 eggs, slightly beaten
1/3 cup butter, melted ( I imagine that margarine can be substituted.)
1/3-1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup pecan halves

Now, here is where I take the wheel. I like my pie to be heaping, so I do 1 1/2c syrup, 1 1/2 c brown sugar, extra butter because DUH, 1 1/2 tsp vanilla, and nearly 2 cups pecan halves. 


DIRECTIONS
Heat oven to 350 degrees.
In a large bowl, combine corn syrup, sugar, eggs, butter, salt and vanilla; mix well.
Pour filling into unbaked pie crust.
Sprinkle with pecan halves.
Bake for 45- 50 minutes or until center is set. I, typically, have to cover my pie crust with foil to keep it from burning while waiting for the center to set.
(Toothpick inserted in center will come out clean, when pie is done.).
(If crust or pie appears to be getting too brown, cover with foil for the remaining baking time.).
Cool.
You can top it with a bit of whip cream if desired.


Post a Comment

© andrea lebeau. Design by Fearne.