On Raising a Well-Balanced Girl2:03 PM
I've reflected a lot lately on being a mom. If I can look back on the day & feel good about it, I'm a happy girl. But let's be honest, in the world of Mommyhood, a lot of days are a mixed bag. Toddlers are tough, kindergartners are tough, teenagers are tough. You get your sprinkled moments of pure joy & the moments that make you think that you're a mom superhero, but in the in between moments, when you are combing peanut butter out of your daughter's hair or using 18 wipes to clean a poop diaper, it can be easy to forget. I'm trying to remember to be purposeful. To be intentional in what I say. To avoid making name calling even if it's just to be silly. Nothing bad, just things like weirdo...which, hello!? Kids are weird. But hey, they get the killer weirdness from their weird-ass parents. It's a badge of honor really.
I've had some random wounds come bubbling back to the surface lately. Things that people said about me, lies about who I was, am or will become. Things that I had no idea were tucked into a crevice somewhere, only to be slowly eating away at me.
It's naptime, so naturally, I was on Pinterest & saw a pin for a blog post called 100 Things I Want to Teach My Daughter. It made me think, with everything I've reflected on...what do I want to teach my daughter? What do I wish I had learned before the ripe ol' age of 29? They say you should be the person you want your kids to be. That's so easy when they are coloring on your walls or feeding the dog every last drop of their dinner or having a level 10 meltdown in Target when you quietly let them know that they will not, in fact, be taking home that stupid Barbie that she swiped when you had your back to them.
I'm sure I could come up with 100 things I'd like to teach my girl, but maybe this can be a running list. Or maybe you guys can help me add to the list. In any case, make your own list. What do you want your kids to learn?
1. God loves you NO MATTER WHAT, all the time, day or night. He's hopelessly, desperately IN LOVE with you.
2. Beauty exudes out of you. The more beautiful you are inside, the more beautiful you are on the outside.
3. Kindness & grace above all else.
4. Say what you mean & mean what you say.
5. Belly laughs are a cure-all.
6. Things always look better in the morning.
7. When you fall in love, fall as hard as you can because it's totally worth it.
8. Your weight has no bearing on who you are as a person.
9. You will always be so beautiful because of who you are.
10. Your Daddy has the biggest crush on you.
11. You will never use Trigonometry in real life.
12. Get deeply entrenched in books.
13. God gave you an imagination - USE IT.
14. Chocolate tastes better than skinny feels.
15. Long, hot bubble baths are good for your soul.
16. No matter what mistakes you make, we will always be your soft place to land.
17. Love Jesus simply because He loves you like crazy.
18. There will always be MEAN GIRLS. Some girls are just mean. Be better than they are. It'll drive them nuts.
19. Cowboy boots go with everything.
20. A good, hard cry is sometimes the best thing for you.
21. Romance movies are ridiculous, but super fun to watch.
22. Take a million photos. You will be so glad you captured every moment.
23. Do what you love. If you don't want to be a doctor or a lawyer, don't. We don't care. We want you to find what you love & turn it into a career.
24. You don't need to change a single thing about how you look. God made you PERFECT in His image. Plastic surgery is giving God the stink eye at what He made. Don't offend the Big Man.
25. Find good quality, LOVING girlfriends who have your back. Don't settle.
26. Boys like long hair.
27. Daddy will tell you that he wants you to live with us forever & never date...I want you to date. Good boys. Who love their mamas. And call me ma'am. And bring you flowers. And then, I want you to fall hopelessly in love with the one who can't live without. Make sure he's good - no douches.
28. Family isn't always blood related. Fall in love with people.
29. Be a good friend. Not a fair weather friend. Weather storms with people & show them that you genuinely love them.
30. Periods suck. Being a girl can suck sometimes, but most of the time...it's pretty frickin' awesome.
31. As much as it will kill us, your heart will get broken. Maybe more than once. This, too, shall pass.
32. Play video games when you're an adult. It's super fun.
33. Be nice to your siblings. Don't tell them they are adopted like I told Aunt Rachel. We don't want to have to pay for their therapy bills.
34. LAUGH all the time. Laugh when you're sad, laugh when you're happy.
35. Find joy in life.
36. Be grateful for what you have & don't have. Start your days being thankful for your blessings because the things you take for granted could be the very thing someone else is praying for.
37. Everything tastes better dipped in ranch.
38. Workout because it's good for you. That's all. Don't worry about having a perfect body. Worry about being a good person.
39. If you ever lose your way, Jesus will guide you back.
40. Learn to care about other people.
41. Do not feel entitled to ANYTHING. Everything you have is a blessing.
42. It is possible to find the PERFECT pair of jeans.
43. Foundation is meant to enhance your skin - it is not meant to make you look like an Oompa Loompa.
44. People know a fake when they see one. Be who you are. Be genuine.
45. Be creative.
46. You never have to be afraid. Never. God is always with you. You won't understand everything that happens in this crazy, fallen world, but you can rest in knowing that God wants the BEST for you.
47. Say sorry first. Holding grudges hurt you, not them. FORGIVE, FORGIVE, FORGIVE.
48. People love honesty. Be honest. Being open about what you are feeling or going through, opens the door for others to do the same. Use your honesty to help people & change lives. Your honesty gives others the courage to be honest.
49. I was put on this earth to be your Mama & I will spend everyday of my life falling more in love with you & working to be the Mama that you need.
50. I love you & I like you.