Giving Back | Operation Christmas Child

As a kid, each year, we were participated in this great program called Operation Christmas Child. While my Mom probably thought it was just floating in one ear & out the other, I have to say that this really stuck with me. I'll be the first to admit that, living where I do and how I do, I haven't an inkling of how bad it is in other countries. No clean water, no clean food, no medical advancements. I cannot imagine.

One of the main pillars I stand on in my parenting is making sure that my kids are grateful, thankful and giving. I want them to know that they are privileged, blessed, and spoiled as all get out. I don't even mean spoiled in the sense that they have cute clothes or the best toys - I mean, they have good, healthy food (minus the cookies for dinner the other night), clean, running water that comes out of the fridge at the perfect temperature, a 3000 sq ft house that is clean, dry and safe, they are healthy and when they aren't, we have a doctor's office right down the street. These things are so taken for granted, but I want them to know that this is not how the rest of the world lives. And hell, it's a great reminder for me, when I'm having them participate in things like this, that I am privileged and blessed and spoiled too.




This year, as Maddie is old enough to get it, we are putting together a shoe box full of things for a 5-year-old girl.



If you'd like to participate, please visit Operation Christmas Child's website for details on how to pack your shoe box and where to send it. I promise you that it will be such a great growing opportunity for YOU & YOUR KIDS.

Post a Comment

© andrea lebeau. Design by Fearne.